BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Saturday 6 December 2014

Mwaba Mwila-Outdoor Instructor

By Winston Muleba II, Zambia 
If you want to discover your purpose, look at your passion because your purpose lies in your passion says Mwila Mwaba. 

Mwila is a Trainee Outdoor Instructor and Coordinator of the Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award for Young People (DofE) at Chengelo Schools Ndubaluba Outdoor Centre in Mkushi, Zambia. 

He has a background in IT, website development, television and radio production. 


Mwila is a recipient of the Gold Duke of Edinburgh’s International Award. 
“Believe in yourself and never give up, God never stops believing in you and neither should you.” he says. 

Born on the 11th of March 1989 at the University Teaching hospital Mwila says he is passionate about the outdoors, domestic tourism and working with the youth. 
“I am actively involved in Ndubaluba’s Outdoor Centre’s Adventure Education programme which instills leadership values in young people, and promotes environmental awareness as well as tourism marketing of Zambia. Aside this I am also involved in the training DofE Award Leaders as well as supervision and assessment of various sections of the Award.” he says. 

Following his committed efforts to contribute to the development of DofE in Zambia, Mwaba says he was nominated to represent the country at the Award International Gold Event in South Korea in October 2014. 
“While in South Korea I was elected as an Emerging Leader Representative for Africa to sit on the Award’s International Council with His Royal Highness, The Earl of Wessex, Prince Edward, alongside 7 other Emerging Leader representatives from around the world.” he says. 

He says he is the fourth born son of retired economist Dr Chungu Mwila and late educational consultant Jenny Sibeso Mwila. 
“I was born into a loving family and blessed with four beautiful sisters and one brother all whom I love so much. With exception of our second born sister who answered the Lords call in 2011. I was born and raised in the New Apostolic Church and fellowshipped there up until I moved to Mkushi where I now fellowship at a small church called North Church at Chengelo School.” he says. 

Mwila explains that he briefly attended his primary in Botswana. 
“When I was three my father got an appointment as principal economist at the SADC secretariat in Gaborone, Botswana. I was enrolled at Northside Primary School in Gaborone and this is where I did most of my primary school. In 2001, the family relocated to Zambia when my father was offered a position with the COMESA secretariat in Lusaka, Zambia. This was a very difficult year for me as not only did I have to leave all my friends behind, my mother passed away that very year. As if this was not enough tragedy for me in one year, the day after my mother’s burial I was run-over by a bus at Lusaka’s Civic Centre at the age of 12. In which I lost a considerable amount of blood and sustained injuries to both my legs. All that had happened to me in such a short period of time left me physically, emotionally and spiritually scared. At the time found it difficult to cope in school with all that had recently happened, then I was at The International School of Lusaka, I was moved to Chengelo School where I joined the primary school in term 3 of grade seven.” Mwila explains. 

Mwila says he settled for Outdoor instructing even though he studied Communication. 
“It was during my five years at Chengelo that I found my love for the Outdoors. Every year of my high school life I participated and went on the many outdoor trips that the school offered. From rock climbing trips, to white water rafting, not only where the adventurous activities a way to build me up, physically, in 2005 and 2006 I participated in the prestigious Adventure Challenge for Schools, in Limpopo South Africa. In 2006 I was honored to be captain of the 6 man team that was sent to represent Zambia in the multi-activity adventure race. It was also during this time of exploration of Zambia’s hidden beauty that I discovered Zambia’s huge tourism potential. From that moment on I knew that I wanted to dedicate my life to working with the youth and creating leaders through Outdoor education and experiential learning.” he says.

“I always had a passion for video production and after leaving Chengelo School I studied communications at the Australian Institute of Business and Technology. I also trained at Zambia News and Information Systems (ZANIS). I enjoyed the opportunities that I had but failed to find fulfilment in what I was doing at the time as it was clear that, that wasn’t Gods intended purpose for my life. Looking back, I remember going through University brochures and looking at Outdoor Education courses, and being apprehensive about choosing Instructing as a career because as a career it is a sector that is yet to be known on the Zambian scene . At the time it seemed like an unstable choice and a profession with no future. In 2012 I read about a vacancy in the post newspaper of ‘Trainee Outdoor Instructor’ at Chengelo’s Ndubaluba Outdoor Centre. I felt God was hinting something to me and without missing a heartbeat I packed my bags and jumped on bus to Mkushi, to begin my new adventure as an outdoor instructor. I am currently ¾ through my Trainee Program. The training involves a lot of practical skills and competency in extreme spots like canoeing, rock-climbing, mountaineering and others.” he says. 

He explains the what outdoors activities involve. “An Outdoor Instructor is one who is Qualified and skilled in outdoor activities and disciplines, for example extreme spots like canoeing, rock-climbing, mountaineering and other team building activities. We deliver various courses to students and adults of all ages. The Role of the Instructor is usually that of coaching instructing and teaching all-in-one. The activities usually have an aspect of team building and leadership. Through doing various activities with groups the Instructor is able to draw out experiences that the participants will find beneficial in building their character and leadership qualities.” he explains. 

Mwila says flexibility and adaptability are the main challenges in outdoors. 
“One of the greatest challenges is flexibility and adaptability in every sense. Firstly as an instructor you need to be able to deliver sessions to any age range, from as little as four year olds to adult and corporate. We also have people coming to the center from different walks of life and groups coming in for camps from as far out as the United Kingdom. I overcome these challenges by being open minded and tolerant. I always believe in teaching individuals rather than their ‘stereotypes’. I also view any cultural (or other differences) as a learning point.” Mwila says. 

He urges young people to consider taking outdoor as a profession. 
“My message to all those who want to be Outdoor Instructors is simple, go for it! Together we can lift up the profession to the place in the country where it should be, as I strongly believe tourism and environmental awareness and sustainable development is the way forward for Zambia. When choosing a career you should capitalize on your God-given talents and gifts.” he says. 

Mwila says outdoor Instructing is a professional career and there are many training and programmes one can pursue. 
“If one wants to go into Outdoor instructing in more of a short term basis or for a ‘gap-year’ after school Ndubaluba Outdoor Centre usually accepts applicants for volunteers for 6-12 months. And Occasionally the Centre offers a trainee instructor programme to individuals. If you choose to go into a career in outdoor instructing there are two main ways this can be done (by perusing further training outside the country)and doing a trainee program. These courses vary but are usually last duration of two years in which the center at which you are working at will train you and asses you for the relevant qualifications. At the end of the trainee program you would have received a range of qualifications that enable you to safely run different outdoor/extreme activities. Alternatively you could pursue a degree (usually three years) in Outdoor Education this is the more theoretical and ‘hands off approach’.” says Mwila. 

He says his hobbies are closely linked to his profession. 
“I enjoy rock climbing, canoeing and the occasional mountain bike cycle. Other hobbies include shooting and editing documentaries, reading and watching TV.” he says. 

Mwila says he is inspired by his faith Jesus Christ. 
“Jesus is my role model because he was a servant leader. He was also not willing to compromise his values and character even when others where. This is the quality of man I hope to become.” he says. 

He says he would want to be remembered as the man who changed for the better and inspired change in others. “I believe that it is never the end and that we all have the will to change for the better. Instead of using our past and faults as weaknesses we can use them as a strength. I would like to be remembered as a man who rose up a new generation of leaders. Leaders with a strong moral compass and sound character. A man who contributed to the holistic development of our country and our Continent.” he says. 

Look at your passion for therein lies your purpose. It is that simple. You can do it. For comments: mwenyamuleba@gmail.com / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals