BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 28 December 2014

Music never ends - Mwamba

By Winston Muleba II, Zambia 
Work hard, be good, be positive, respect your elders and listen, these attributes will take you a long way says Robert Mwamba. 

Mwamba is someone who doesn’t put up an act or front for anyone. He is a positive, straightforward and hardworking nice person. 

He says there are no shortcuts to get to the top in life. 

Mwamba is a Zambian born Guitarist, Composer and Producer based in New York City. 


Mwamba is the seventh born in a family of eight. 
“My parents are Mr. Simon Mwamba - retired who at one time served 3 years as Zambia's Deputy Ambassador to the USA in Washington DC and the late Mildred Mwamba.” he says. 

 He went to New York City in 1989 for University. 
“I came here to study and eventually completed my Bachelor's degree in Economics at Baruch College, City University of New York. As a Golden Key Honors Student I was asked by the History Department of my University to consider becoming a Professor for them. Instead I chose to go the Finance and Banking route and spent many years working for Bank of America in Management and Investments.” he says. 

Mwamba says he has maintained a career as a versatile guitarist. 
“I have performed at the Events for such diverse personalities as British Billionaire and founder of the Virgin Group - Sir Richard Branson, Oscar Award Winning Actress - Mira Sorvino, UN Secretary General's - Kofi Annan and Bank Ki Moon and Hip Hop Mogul - Sean Diddy Combs - Legendary "All White Party" in the Hamptons. I am also the first Zambian to Headline at the 2 of the world's top Jazz Clubs - Blue Note in New York City and Blues Alley in Washington DC. My Debut album "Coastin" is scheduled for release early in the New Year. It features 3 Grammy Award Winning Artists. In June of this year I was awarded by the US Congress - A Certificate of Special Congressional Recognition for Outstanding and Invaluable Service to the Community.” he says. 

He says he has lived a lot longer out of Zambia than he has here. 
“I can never deny my roots. I always keep up with all the news there and also with the people doing significant things on a global scale in all endeavors. When my album comes out in the New Year - I'm definitely looking to come and do some shows there.” he says. 

Mwamba says he has been playing guitar professionally in New York for over 20 years. 
“One thing I love about Music is that it never ends. To me, there is always something to work on if you want to be great. I've been privileged to meet and hang with the greatest musicians in different genres and one thing I noticed about them is that they have an almost childlike fascination and curiosity about the Music. I hope to keep growing as a guitarist and musician.” he says. 

Mwamba explains what differentiates a violin, banjo and guitar. 
“The Violin, Banjo and Guitar are all stringed instrument but very different. From a technical standpoint, the violin is 4 stringed and tuned in perfect fifths. It’s the smallest and highest pitched instrument from the Viola family which also includes the Viola and Cello. It’s mainly used in Classical music, not so much in Jazz. You get a sound by using a bow on the strings. The Banjo is also 4 or 5 stringed. It's not that common in Jazz either - more popular in folk, bluegrass or old time music. The guitar is mainly 6 stringed, tuned for the most part in in perfect fourths - apart from the third (G) and second strings (B) and is the most popular instrument in the world used prominently in most musical genres.” he explains. 

He says he always liked music and actually his older sister - Muriel Mwamba was for several years Zambia's top singer. 
“My sister would have some of the guitarists from her Band come over to the house to rehearse and I'd always be there watching and listening. I like the guitar because it serves so many functions. In the right hands, it’s like having a piano on your laps. You can play it Solo; it can function as a member of the rhythm section. It can serve as the lead voice. Plus its portable and you can carry it around everywhere.” he says. 

Mwamba says his main challenge in the past few years has been consistency. 
“I’m much more selective about the gigs I do now. I’m blessed to have many of the greatest musicians in the industry working with me, so we can’t just do any type of gig. Obviously over the past few years with the depressed economy – there aren’t as many plum Events to do as they used to be. Back in the day, work was much more plentiful for musicians. One has to be really proactive in getting work and there is so much involved. Promoting, rehearsing, following up with club owners, etc...In this industry - you have to have a thick skin. You'll hear a lot more no's than yes. I'm a very positive person and good with people skills. That really helps me a great deal.” he says. 

He urges prospective guitarists to dedicate some little time for practice. 
“I'm not sure if there is a right age to start playing guitar. Obviously the earlier you start, the quicker you can get to master it just like in anything. But even adults can pick up a guitar and learn. I've found that the key is consistency. If you can dedicate even 30 minutes or an hour each day to consistent practice, you'll progress better than if you only practice like every Saturday or Sunday.” he says. 

Mwamba says playing a guitar is beneficial especially to the brains. 
“Many studies have proved that it’s very beneficial to our brains to play a guitar or any other instrument for that matter. Our brains get a full body workout and there are long term positive mental effects.” he says. 

He says young people in the entertainment industry especially musicians should also prioritize education. 
“I have always been very big on Education. The Music Industry is not easy. I urge younger aspiring musicians to have something to fall back on. I have an Economics degree. I really cannot comment on the Zambian music industry - I haven't been there for 25 years - so I'm not sure about the prospects of being a professional guitarist there. Over here - it’s possible – but again it’s very hard work but if you have the passion, drive, humility and it’s something you have to do, you'll enjoy it.” he says. 

Mwamba says as a guitarist, one person he considers a role model is his mentor - Rodney Jones. 
“Rodney has taught at the 2 best Jazz Schools in New York - Manhattan School of Music and Julliard for about 30 years. As a guitarist - his credentials are impeccable. He was hired as an 18 year old by Bebop Founder and Legend - Dizzy Gillespie. He has since played with every major Jazz Legend as well as others like Michael Jackson, Prince, Eric Clapton, James Brown, Ray Charles, Lena Horne. He also was guitarist for "Showtime at the Apollo" and "The Rosie O'Donnell" TV shows. I can go on and on with his credits. I have tremendous respect for him and I'm very glad he also is on my Debut Album.” he says. 

He says he loves sports and working out. 
“I also enjoy the English Premier League. I'm a voracious reader, I'm always reading something. I like to cook. I like to visit new places. These are a few of my hobbies.” he says. 

There are no shortcuts to get to the top in life, just work hard, be good and be positive. It is that simple. You can do it. 

For comments: mwenyamuleba@gmail.com / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals