BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 26 October 2014

Your dreams are never far from your reach -Mwelwa

By Winston Muleba II, Zambia 
Your dreams are never far from your reach says Mwandwe Mwelwa. 

Mwelwa, 22year is a phenomenon, ambitious fashion designer and public administrator. 

She is the only child in her family and currently lives with her supportive mother, Mwansa T. Mwelwa in Kitwe on the Copperbelt province. 

“Put God first and everything will fall in place, remember He never fails.” she says. 

Mwelwa says some people she met while in Lusaka and on the Copperbelt have contributed to the person she has become. 
“I was born on the 2nd of October 1992 in Kitwe. I have spent most of my life and school days between the Copperbelt and Lusaka province. My primary school days where spent in Kitwe, I then moved to Lusaka for my lower secondary education at Kaweya Trust School for two years and moved back to Kitwe and completed my secondary school days at Kalulushi Trust School. Having done my primary and secondary in two provinces, I would say I have been exposed to so many things and above all I have met different people some of whom have contributed to who I am today.” she says.
She says she owes her progress in life to her faith in God. 
“My achievements so far have not come by accident; it is by the will God that I have been able to move from one level to the other. I am a faith believer of a Pentecostal church called All Nations Harvest in Kitwe.” she says. Mwelwa says she studied public administration after high school. “After successfully completing my secondary school, my enthusiasm for public administration kept growing, so I enrolled for a two years public administration diploma programme at NIPA.” she says.  She also owns a fashion label. “Basically what made me venture into fashion design industry is the beauty of transforming a simple piece of cloth into something amazing, eye catching and worth being appreciated. Even before I settled for public administration as my career of choice I had passion for fashion. Currently I run my own clothing design line called Ushi Fabrics. The name Ushi from one of our local tribes.” she says. 

Mwelwa says a business without challenges is not worth being called a business. 
“I do face a lot of challenges just like in any other business, anyway that keep me going. The most stressing one is finding the perfect material you need.” she says. 

She says there is much debate on which fashion Zambian youths should embrace. 
“I think blending Zambian fashion style with foreign fashion issue has brought some much controversy. Others say as young people we must learn to reflect our Zambian culture in the fashion styles while others say we must blend the Zambian fashion style with foreign fashion. Seeing that the world is slowly changing and that's something we can't control. I think there's nothing wrong in blending two cultures together. We keep saying the world should unite so what's wrong with two cultures uniting? The most important thing is to strike a balance; our Zambian fashion style is flexible, and it goes well with other foreign fashions. I only find it awkward if a person doesn’t at any point reflect that he or she is Zambian especially to us young girls. A chitenge really makes fascinating outfits. My designs can well be described as designs filled with African culture with a dash of urban feel to it. ” she says. 

Mwelwa says her designs help promote cultural awareness in Zambia. 
“I want to say that there are so many fashion designers in Zambia however with all my designs I try to bring out the greatness and richness that our culture holds. Mostly with the arts and patterns of our cultural celebrations.” she says.  

She says young people can create communities of self-empowerment through selling fabrics. “Unemployment levels are high therefore, young people can create self-empowerment through this is by selling fabrics, Chitenge’s and other stuff needed to make clothes because we always need such.” she says. 

Mwelwa urges young people to try fashion design business. 
“My message to my fellow youths basically is that they can never go wrong with fashion design business, blend a little culture to it and boom beauty just there. Embrace the change.” she says. 

She says a Nigerian designer inspires her. 
“My role model is Orange culture. He is a male designer from Nigeria. The passion he has for his work is mind blowing and his humility is just overwhelming.” she says. 

Mwelwa says she loves to read, watch TV a lot because she gets most of her ideas from there. 
She also enjoys her cooking moments though.  

She says she would want to be remembered as a good person but most importantly as a youth who followed her dreams and became an inspiration to others. 

For comments: mwenyamuleba@gmail.com / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals