BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Wednesday 22 October 2014

Story of Basanta Adhikari, a youth advocate in Nepal

 
“To fall in a mud is not a disgrace but to stay there is”. 

I failed many times in my life, but I never thought myself as a failure, more I failed, more I tried to stand up being stronger than before. For me Muhammad Ali is right, he says, “The meaning of life is not simply to exist or to survive, but to move ahead, to go up, to achieve, to conquer”. 

I always think with same attitude to make myself better person than before and help the people who are in need. What do we live for if it is not to make life less difficult for each other? 
When I remember my past life as a drug user, I still feel uneasy, because I have spoiled my prime age in drug addiction, that precious time which I could have used for a better purpose and make more progress in my life. But sometime I feel pride; because I could give up my bad habits and change my negative personality to positive, and establish myself as a useful member in the society. 

When I was 16 years of age, I give my school leaving certificate (SLC) exam, I had a leisure time which I mostly stayed in a chowk (small market where people assembled) with my friends, where we have nothing to do more than gossiping and engaged in unproductive work. There is a saying “empty mind is devil workshop”. We were staying in the cinema hall all the day to pass our time and return back to chowk again. Sometimes we were in engaged unnecessary fight with others, life was meaningless with no goal and we were not concerned about our future. When young people don’t get an environment to learn good things they go for bad one. 

Same thing happens to me, some of our friends were engaged in drug addiction and I used to be with them. In the beginning I didn’t take it but once I tested it, I too feel good and relaxed. I felt bad about using drugs, always I desired to change myself, from the inner core of my heart there was a voice still saying me “Basanta, you are born to do something good, you can do it, you cannot finish in this way”. 

 But I was not getting the right environment to change myself. One day when I was 25 years, I went to Baburaja Shrestha and asked him for a job, I said him “I too would like to be the good person as like him in the society, I don’t want to die as the way I am living, I want to leave my legacy in the society, so give me a chance to stand”. He gave me the opportunity saying me “ Basanta, I will give you a chance, if you can recover yourself than it is good to you and your family too, but if you could not, I will think that I had poured some water in the sand, nothing much will happen to me but I will only lose some money”. 

For 3 years I lead and empowered young people in eastern region that also help me to develop and build myself too. In 2010, I got a scholarship opportunity for doing Master’s, I finished it in 2011 on the subject of Masters in Inter Asia NGOs studies, then I returned back to my country and again start empowering young people voluntarily in my locality. I provide them the training on Social Responsibility, Civic Issues, Leadership, Personality Development and Self-value. 

At this present time, I am working with Samriddhi The Prosperity Foundation and promoting the “Gari Khana Deu”/Livable NepalCampaign to promote the culture of rule of law in Nepal that has been violated due to political instability since a long time. So I decided to live for a cause, now I will try to be the voice for the voiceless people and help to make my society and upcoming generation better. 

My dear friends, it doesn’t matter where we are coming from but it does matter where we are going. So let’s make best use of our past, whatever it is, learn from it and move ahead for better purpose.

Voice of Youths

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals