BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 21 September 2014

Lorita:chess player

By Winston Muleba II, Zambia
You have to put God first in all you do, put to great use that which he has placed within you says Chess player Lorita Mwango. 

Mwango, 19, is a Christian, the last born in a family of five. Apart from playing Chess, Mwango is currently a second year student of Mathematics and Science Education at the Copperbelt University, in the School of Mathematics and Natural Sciences in Kitwe. 


“I was born on 6th November in 1994.I come from a family of five children, three girls and two boys. My Father is Mr Moffat Bwalya Mwango, a Warrant Officer Class one and my mother is Mrs Rhoda Goma. I am a committed Christian of United Church of Zambia, St Andrews congregation in Lusaka.” She says.  

“My hobbies are playing chess, dancing, reading, making friends and travelling.” 

Mwango says she was brought up in Lusaka. 
“I was brought up in Lusaka, Arakan Barracks. Dad is a Soldier, as such I have a military background. Grade one to seven, I went to Chisenga Lumbwe Basic School, a school just within Arakan Barracks then to Lwitikila Girls Secondary School in Mpika, Muchinga Province for my grade eight and nine then to Ndola Girls National Technical High School for my grade 10-12.I got nine points at grade 12.” she says. 

She says she wanted to study Medicine. 
“I wanted to study medicine; I thought I had the passion for it. It was something that I had always wanted to do. Nonetheless, I am now studying Mathematics and Science Education and I intend to major in Mathematics next year. I wish to be a Lecturer, so I hope I can do a Masters as soon as I get my BSc degree.” she says. 

Mwango says her main challenge is striking a balance between School and Chess. 
“God is the one that has made me the person I am today. I owe everything to him, thus I live for him. I lead a quiet, humble but busy life. My main challenge is striking a balance between school and Chess. However, I have been able to balance my academics and chess though it’s not easy, anyway I thank God I can study and play chess effectively. I make sure am up to date with my studies, so that when I need to play chess, I can easily go and play without worrying about remaining behind in studies. Chess and fellowship work are the main activities I am involved in at University.” she says. 

Mwango says her Uncle taught her how to play Chess. 
“I started playing chess when I was 10 years. Uncle Robert Kapena taught me. He taught my brothers first, then I grew interest and I also learnt. It was challenging and discouraging to play with the boys because I was always losing. But with time and interest, I caught up with them and certainly got better than all of them, off course including the coach (uncle).” 
“Five years from now and with enough training, I envision myself a WGM (Woman Grand Master).” she says. 

She says she plays local tournament due lack of sponsorship. 
“Sponsorship to international rated tournaments is the major challenge, especially for me as a female chess player. I opt to play local tournaments that I can easily sponsor myself to. Sometimes I do manage to find someone to sponsor me to play some of the tournaments. It’s kind of hard though.” she says. 

Mwango says she has participated in both local and international tournaments. 
“I only started playing competitive chess in grade 11. And I have participated in a number of tournaments, both local and international. This is to say, I was the schools champion after winning the provincials in 2010 and 2011. I have also competed for Africa youth Chess championship 2010 in Botswana; World chess Olympiad 2010 in Russia; Africa youth chess championship in Zambia 2011, 2nd place, silver medal; Airtel chess challenge, Champion, 2012;World Chess Olympiad 2012 in Turkey, I attained my WFM (Woman Fide Master) title; Africa youth chess championship 2012 in south Africa, 2nd place silver medal; Zimbabwe open, joint 2nd position 2012;Cuca chess tournament, 2013 in Angola, 5th place; Zambia closed chess championship, Winner 2013 and World chess Olympiad 2014, Norway to mention just a few. I also played quiet a number of local tournaments in 2013, both by LPCA and CFZ.” she says.

She says Chess is for all minds. 
“I don’t think there is anything as the right age, some children, as young as 5years are already able play. I can comfortably say Chess is for all minds.” she says. 

Mwango says Chess makes one become a fast thinker. 
“Chess helps one attain some problem solving skills. We also learn to take our time before doing something, but also watching and making sure we do it in the given time. Apart from that, it makes one a fast thinker. It’s also a good activity or sport that would help one keep from self-destructive behavior/habit, as a result one grows into a more responsible individual and be able to take responsibility for their actions.” she says. 

She urges youths to consider start playing Chess. 
“It’s a great game that will help them develop into more responsible adults and thus contribute to their societies.” she says. Mwango says one can earn a living through Chess. “One can earn a living through Chess especially in the developed countries where Chess is well funded. But it’s very challenging to live in chess in Africa, Zambia inclusive.” she says. 

“My Mum is my role model, because she is a very hardworking woman, prayerful, caring and looks out for others, not only her family. I would want people to remember me as a great person who impacted the lives of others positively.” she says. 

Put to great use that which God has placed within you. It is that simple, you can do it. 

For comments: mwenyamuleba@gmail.com / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals