BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 29 March 2015

“I Sold Fritters And Toy Drinks Out of Choice”

By Patrick Sikana 
I am angry at two women. Stella and Stella. In case you missed it, I will tell you why. A group of 6 harmless, jobless graduates from the University of Zambia staged a peaceful demonstration to express their wish to be employed. One Stella, the police IG, sent a group of excited bat-wielding police officers to savage their freedoms of expression and assembly, and lock them up. In solidarity with that high- handed tantrum, another Stella, this time the daughter of a former president, with savage eloquence and polished sarcasm, taunted the jobless6 (as they are colloquially known) on her Facebook wall, urging them to shut up, feed their placards to the fire and proceed to the market to sell tomatoes. 


In case you’re wondering why it took me this long to react, I have struggled valiantly to resist the temptation of joining the swirl of the ongoing debate that ensued from this unhappy episode because, having gotten my first job 19 days before graduating, I have never experienced what the jobless6 are experiencing. What moral right do I have to comment on their predicament? None. But then I stumbled on Stella Sata’s ridiculous ‘I was misquoted’ crocodile-tear apology. My nonsense detectors smelt a rotting rat. 

In ways both unintended and unimagined, the arrest of the 6 and the polarized debate that resulted have revealed a tragic civil cancer in Zambia: we are expected to expect less and less of our government. One day soon, it will be illegal to expect anything from our government. There is a reason for all this. We have recently been so whipsawed between mediocre leadership and no leadership that now our expectations on those in high positions are worse than humble. Our sense of entitlement has been so battered out of shape that our expectations of government sound like a list of groveling apologies. How unconscionably dilatory! 

Little wonder we are now being admonished it’s not government’s job to make sure I have a job. It’s my duty to sell tomatoes (and there is nothing metaphorical about this) at the market. What a pernicious frame of mind! Isn't this why Paul once asked a mindless community: O foolish Galatians, who has bewitched you? 

Let me put perspective to this. I raised the money for my wedding from selling toy drinks and fritters. But heck I had a job! A full time formal job that gave me the capital. We go to school so that we can have choices in life – options! Selling fritters and toy drinks was, for me, a result of choice, not lack of it. I still do other side hustles. But I am not pushed to do them, I am pulled. 

 We elect governments so that they can safe guard our right to choice. No, governments can’t employ everyone. But don’t be fooled, they must provide an environment for job creation and, imposing a senseless employment freeze is inimical to that environment. No insult to the trade, but I’m not sending my children to school so that they can wind up selling tomatoes at Soweto market. That’s poor parenting in the first place, and bad economics in the second. 

Nothing undignified about selling tomatoes. Everything undignified about spending 4 Siwela years (I don’t know the name of the current UNZA Vice Chancellor) gaining skills in order to end up in a vocation that does not require ANY of those skills. We all have a right to live our lives, not just to exist, and formal employment is an important part of that mix.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals