BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Saturday 28 March 2015

George Mtonga Setup Tomato Stand In Solidarity With Jobless UNZA Graduates

A Zambian graduate based in Atlanta, George Mtonga has setup a tomato stand in solidarity with jobless UNZA graduates who were recently arrested and charged for unlawful assembly. 

He says when what used to be Northern Rhodesia started to chase for independence, and rallies were held for Zambians to take the land of their ancestors those with power and prestige berated them. They scorned them and criticized them. Yet we all now call ourselves Zambians. 

Mr Mtonga says he will never use his success to veil himself from the ordinary sufferings of Zambians. 

“I promise the Zambian people never to use my success to veil me from the ordinary sufferings of Zambians. In my quest to leave a mark on my society I will know what the price of ka pamela is, I will know what the price of salad yakupima is.. I will not let the blessings God has bestowed upon me to live a comfortable life to lead to my self-inflicted ignorance of other people's struggles. Your struggles matters and thats why it is called your experience. Your experience matters. Never let anyone discredit your experience. We have done so much to have a democracy in Zambia where people can stand up for what they want and not have the ignorant weight of people to discredit what they stand for,” he says. 

He says he supports the Jobless 6 UNZA graduates because they were attacked for exercising their right to air their discontent. 

“I support the Jobless 6 because they were attacked for exercising their right to air their discontent. I know personally many people who have graduated and cant find jobs. This is why I decided to protest today in Atlanta, Georgia with them. This is not a political statement this is a human statement for the Zambian people. We should not allow our blessings and "success" to shield us from the sufferings of ordinary Zambians and when they express discontent we blame them for not " working harder" forgetting the leverage that we ourselves have benefited from. There is a young boy in Masala who got 6 points in grade 12 and cant find a sponsor to go to school- I am in no position even if I'm from Masala to look at him and ask him why he never turned out like me and when he complains I use my "success" as proof that he should have done better in life. We need to stop this. Life is difficult in Zambia. Some people may not be aware of this but not everyone in Zambia is experiencing the "success " of the country,” he says. 

Mr Mtonga says he will forever present a message of hope to people than a message of discontent. 

“Let us be sensitive in how we apply our "philosophies" of life and exercise caution in berating our brothers and sisters. I will forever present a message of hope than a message of discontent. I will aim to understand the sufferings of my brothers and sisters and create platforms to make their lives better; not because I'm particularly a good guy but because they are me; it is only the alignment of the stars and blessings of God that some of us made it and it is not within our jurisdiction to look down on those who are struggling for we know struggle first hand,” he says.

He urges other people to join him in a quest to change Zambia for the better. 

“Feel free to join me as we change Zambia for the better; we have to create meaningful celebration points for our children who will be the one to celebrate independence when Zambia turns 100 Years old. In effect, our job is to give them something to celebrate and this is exactly what I will do,” he says.  

He says 150 girls will be sent to in support of girl child education in Zambia. 

“This year we are sending 150 girls to school in support of girl child education in Zambia. I do not have a child, and I do not know what it takes to raise a child. But I have a heart, I am not going to ask why these girls parents didn't send them to school. Because I know for some a decision to go to school is riddled with the decision to eat. I ask that you join us in our movement as we continue to add value to Zambia. Our goal is to raise $20, 000 from our friends and families ; we have raised $5300 so far and we are as determined as ever to finish the race,” he says. 

 Mr Mtonga in his last remarks says, “we stand for what we stand for because its the right thing to do not because its popular.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals