BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 10 August 2014

Changing my community begins with me –Silomba

By Winston Muleba II, Zambia
William Silomba is a youth of Kitwe district who believes that change in his community begins with him.

He is a craftsman in roof installation, house electrical wiring and he also runs sand and canoeing business.

“We are at a time where the very seam of what we need to happen cannot be accomplished without us being involved. Change will not come if we wait for some other people to change our communities. We are the ones we’ve been waiting for. We are the change that we seek. I certainly believe that changing my community begins with me,” says Silomba. 

Silomba says he is the third born in a family of eleven children.

“I was born and bred in Mufuchani on 24th October, in a family of 11 children and I am the third born. My parents are Mr William Silomba and Eviness Nakamba. I am married to Mary Mbayamba and we are blessed with 4 children, namely Harriet, Janer, William and Isaac. Harriet and Janer are in school then other two are still toddlers,” he says. 

He explains that he stopped school in grade 9 because he had no one to sponsor him.

“I started school in 1987 at Bulangililo primary school in Kitwe. Unfortunately I failed grade 7 examinations hence had to repeat grade 7 at Valley view primary school fortunately in 1994 I qualified to grade 8 and was offered admission at Mindolo secondary school. I was at Mindolo secondary school from grade 8 to 9. In grade 9 I had no one to finance my education so I had no option but to stop school ” says Silomba. 

Silomba says he envisioned himself becoming an Electrical Engineer before he stopped school.

“My father used to install roofs of all types. He also did house electrical wiring though the money he realized from his tenders could not suffice my education. I started accompanying him whenever he got a tender and in the process I learnt how to do house electrical wiring and how to install roofs. This basically became my main source of income. I enjoyed house electrical wiring because this was in line with what I wanted to pursue. I envisioned myself becoming an electrical engineer however things did not happen as planned," he explains.

He says youths are the key to helping communities meet their subsistence needs.

“In 1998 I observed that crossing the Kafue River at Mufuchani was really a challenge and an obstacle to many people especially business men and women those who transported goods from one side of the river to the other on a daily basis. There has been no bridge at Mufuchani Kafue River ever since the pontoon broke down. I worked closely with people who also had passion for providing solution to problem of crossing Kafue River at Mufuchani. In the process I ended up providing part of a solution to the problem of crossing the Kafue River at Mufuchani together with other colleagues. I own two boats which transport people and goods from one side of the river to the other," says Silomba.

Silomba points out that he has two guys that he work with.

"The two guys work with my boats in my absence and the little resources that are realized from the boat fares help us buy the small necessities in our daily lives. Currently I am running a sand business (quarry) and I also do some gardening of rape, Chinese etc. though it is periodical. In times when I don’t have any tender of roof installation and electrical wiring I dedicate my time managing my sand and canoeing business. Providing a solution to a problem doesn’t require one to pump in a lot of resources some problems do not require huge resources though some demand a lot of resources. As youths we must become solutions, not problems to the challenges that our communities face. Honestly had we waited for government to put up a bridge at Mufuchani Kafue River by now little or no development would have happened in Chipata and Mufuchani compounds. A pontoon broke down many years ago. As young person in collaboration with other colleagues, elders and other stakeholders who also owns boats we improvised boats as a solution to a problem of crossing Kafue River from one side of the river to the other side at Mufuchani. Young people are innovative and creative in problem solving and solution finding: they are the key to helping communities meet their subsistence needs, and in doing so, improving local people’s long-term security and control over their own lives,” says Silomba. 

He says Organizations and other stakeholders need to support participation of young people in issues that affect communities.

“Organizations and other stakeholders need to support participation of young people in issues that affect communities, this is to say they must be bringing younger people into organizations and core networks and collaborating with them to make subtle adjustments to working culture where necessary. Young people can bring new, creative and dynamic suggestions to the table, which can help catalyze improved organizational values, systems and communities. This can be achieved by involving young people as volunteers, interns and staff, and ensuring their representation on boards, committees and task teams (with guidance and training as necessary),” says Silomba. 

“I would want to be remembered as a dedicated servant of the community,” he says.

Be the change that you seek in your community. It is that simple, you can do it.
For comments; mwenyamuleba@gmail.com  

or Call; +260 950 594 050 WhatApp: +260 966461943

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals