BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 3 August 2014

Buumba Malambo:child literacy activist, student

By Winston Muleba II
“Never despise humble beginnings and don’t belittle your own accomplishments.” says Buumbalambo Foundation for the children in need founder and director Buumba Malambo. 

Malambo is an Adventist Christian, a determined, humble young woman, child literacy activist and a fourth year student at the University of Zambia. “I was born was born on the 10th June 1991 in Mufulira town on the Coppertbelt. I have two young brothers: Bulongo Malambo who is in Russia studying civil engineering the youngest is Bulimo Malambo who is in grade twelve at Chiwala boys school. My father is Mr. Lackson Malambo, a head teacher and my mother Mrs. Malambo, DESO at Mufulira DEBS office.” she says.

“When I was growing up in basic school I was a victim of bullying because I couldn’t have what other kids had at school because by that time my parents could not afford certain things. I and my brothers had to sell vegetables in the morning to help raise money; those that stayed in Mufulira town at that time will reckon that I used to sell vegetables at complex and sometimes at country club junction. I remember eating the same kind of food impwa (vegetables) for weeks; I remember taking guavas, lemons to sell at school when I was in grade 6.In high school my parents were forced out of the house and so we had to move to our unfurnished house where we stayed in the house for a year without electricity and I remember how I used to study in a lamp the whole night and my friends would laugh at my smoke smelling of my uniform.” 

Malambo says she doesn’t like to share her private life but just want to encourage someone out there. “Never despise humble beginnings. When I passed to grade 9 at Mufulira High school an NGO from UK come at our school requesting if they could sponsor one of the pupils that passed with flying colors from secondary up to University preferably a university in UK. Fortunately I was chosen and during assembly of about 1 thousand students they announced that they will sponsor my education and encouraged other students to emulate me but after doing the formal papers and signed the contract the head teacher in the company of some teachers that always found pleasure in being encumbrance or an hindrance to deserving students told the NGO that since I was a girl the school would not advice that I get sponsored after so many fights the NGO was forced to withdraw the contract that’s how I was unfairly treated and the perfect gift I was to receive that year was taken away from me because someone out there wanted their child who never passed a single exam to be sponsored. Years passed and I healed from all the shame and hate I kept. Mufulira high school has a UK-ZAMBIA exchange programme where they choose hardworking grade 11 Mufulira high school students to represent Zambia and the school in the UK for three weeks. It was that time again and I was chosen by the programme committee for interviews but as usual the same teachers and the Head teacher interfered and my interviews were ignored luckily other teachers and pupils started questioning, due to pressure the head teacher called me and those that were chosen for a meeting when I entered the room I found one of my teachers holding a plastic with small pieces of paper in it. I was told that 10 papers had the word NO and only one had YES written on it, in front of my friends I was made to pick one paper that would determine my going to the UK I took a deep breath and picked one paper, my hand was shaking like a reed so I gave Joan my friend to open it. When she opened she shed tears and I could see the Head teacher smile happily thinking I picked a NO my blood froze but Joan was shedding tears of joy because I picked a YES and that how I went to the UK in 2007.”

She says before she opted for Social work she wanted to study economics. 
“I always wanted to study economics because when my parents left me in charge of the house at age 12 I managed to account for everything, sell chickens and vegetables and still manage to account for every penny.” she says. 

Malambo says peer pressure is the greatest challenge at University. 
“Apart from study pressure Peer pressure is one of the greatest challenges at the University which encompasses dress code and behavior. However as a child of God I always look to God when am faced with so many challenges.” she says. 

She says she is involved in some activities that relate to her future career. 
“I run a foundation which advocates for child literacy and envisions a Zambia without child illiteracy. I have been in high position of the Social work student association of Zambia UNZASWA which has many charity activities.” She says. 

Malambo says her scholastic achievements have been her stepping stones. 
“Degree in Social work and graduate of the SUSI institute of women leadership in the USA at Kansas University. Both achievements have been my stepping stones. Besides this my other achievements to mention a few includes Winner of Voice of Youth Africa Award 2013, Nigeria; Africa Young achievers Award, 2013, United Kingdom; a certificate of participation at the young women feminist training organized by OSISA and ZARD; Appointed to give a speech at the Discovering Young Leaders Programme (DYLP) an online Youth leadership Programme organized by commonwealth; I was also chosen to give a speech during the National Youth Indaba organized by International labor organization ILO when director general Mr. Guy RPpppppider visited Zambia for the first time.” she says. 

Malambo explains what Buumbalambo Foundation of the children in need is all about. 
“The foundation was born out of my passion for the vulnerable children Buumbalambo foundation for the children in need is a registered NGO founded in 2013 with the following objectives: To advocate for children and youth education through the back to school campaign and to involve the children and youths in environmental activities and conservation. I envision the foundation as the largest Zambian child related NGO in Zambia with a variety of initiates for both vulnerable children and women.” she says. 

Malambo says the major challenges she faces in running her foundation is funding and team mobilization. 
“Finding funding and mobilizing a team of people that are older than me and more experienced than me but even so, I overcome such challenges by being humble and open-minded. In terms of funding am always on the lookout searching for new grants and partnerships.” she says. 
“If we educate a boy, we educate one person. If we educate a girl, we educate a family and a nation.” When a girl child is educated they see a nation in a different perspective because education acts as a safety net that cushions the child from illiteracy and poverty because when a child is educated they lean to tie their lives to a goal which grows the fruit of purpose and when they walk with purpose they collide with destiny. An educated child is a light to the next generation. When a boy child is educated the black cloth of ignorance is scrapped off from his face and the traditional customs of viewing women and girls as less important is replaced by respect hence the they view women and girls as equal partners in development. Support boy child education if we are to reduce rape and other forms of abuse against women by producing men that will value their mothers, wives and daughters. May I simply say, education breeds confidence, breeds hope and peace because when a child has a privilege to learn the mindset of a child is changed for better.” she says. 

She says “since education is one of the most critical areas of empowerment, my greatest solution would be to build both primary and secondary schools near children especially in rural areas.” 

Malambo outlines some right ideologies and principles young leaders must embrace at their tender age. “Young leaders must embrace the ideology to be independent and embrace talent as well as the passion to change something in one’s country.” she says. 

Malambo says youths mobilize and sustain a commitment in community leadership. 
“By using the tactic of knowledge, networking and skills youths can mobilize and sustain a commitment.” She says. 

Malambo says women are the largest untapped reservoir of talents. 
“The strongest actions for a woman and a girl is to love herself, be herself and shine amongst those who never believed she could because women are the largest untapped reservoir of talent in the world.to the male youths desist from drugs and aim to be great role models.” she says. 

Malambo says she is inspired by some women and their contribution of women uprsing to the Zambia society. 
“My role model is Lucy Sichone for her poignant role in Zambian history of women who stood up in adverse conditions to fight not only for children but also women, Nkandu Luo’s intelligence inspires me, am also inspired by how smart Silvia masebo is and their contribution of women uprisings to the Zambia society.” she says. 

“I would want to be remembered as a young Zambian woman who stood up to make a change for Zambia.” she says. 

Never despise humble beginnings, from small beginnings comes great things. You can do it. For comments; mwenyamuleba@gmail.com / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals