BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Wednesday 27 May 2015

My long journey towards forgiveness

By Mariam Yassin 

Forgive? How can I do it? “Who dies because of a yes or a no”, the famous phrase by Primo Levi continuously repeats itself in my mind. I feel guilty because I survived! I look around and notice that I am surrounded by death and sufferance. “Please give me water!”, someone asks me. I gather every last bit of strength I have left and begin to help with whatever I can. As I proceed to assist those around me, I begin to scan my surroundings a second time and realize the number of dead bodies scattered across the floor as well as the amount of blood flowing. I feel dizzy now, I can’t breathe and I need to sit. “This cannot be true”, I tell myself. Alas! It is true my worst nightmare has now become my reality. 


The hours spent in a parking lot on the rooftop of the Westgate Shopping Centre were indeed the most dramatic hours of my life. I may write more on this in future posts about how I felt, lived and survived in those moments. However for now I can say that I thank Allah for the bad and for the good. 

Now, I do want to talk about how I finally chose the path of forgiveness, a long path filled with ups and downs that eventually leads to inner peace. I truly believe this. Perhaps I cannot say that I have reached that inner peace, but I can certainly say that I am at peace. I forgive for vengeance is not mine! Hatred and resentment are too heavy to be carried on my shoulders because I have a greater mission, which is to live my life. Live and enjoy life in its sweetness and in its challenges. I do not wish to pass on hatred and feelings of revenge to future generations; instead I want to teach my children about forgiveness, respect for life and human dignity. 

I decided to share my pain, because I believe that we tend to not talk about our grievances. “It was destiny, be strong and forget about it”, we say. I fully accept what happened, I am strong, and I have decided to move on without forgetting what took place for I do not want to live in denial! I believe that sharing and talking about my pain and grief, and above all what this experience has taught me, are moral obligations and signs of strength. I am not lamenting, but I want to share and actively participate in the reconciliation within my beloved country, Somalia. 

I believe that sharing our own pain and grievances, which all Somalis have, can be a good step that can lead to reconciliation in Somalia. This conflict has touched many of us Somali sisters and brothers, we lost our beloved ones and got hurt both physically and emotionally making our healing processes much more difficult. 

Time has come to share, talk and forgive one another. Let us break the chain of vendetta and resentment, which kept many of us prisoners for a long time. 

The time has come to walk together towards the path that leads to the highest and most profound freedom, the one the soul!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals