BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Wednesday 27 May 2015

It affects us all: Gender equality is not a woman’s issue, it is a human issue

By Winifred Ahupa 

One great gift for a Nigerian feminist is a Nigerian man who get it. This is not as common as one would expect. But if you are a Nigerian (female) and and you have that one male friend who you don’t really need to explain a thing to; by all means put that friend to work, let that friend be your mouthpiece or quarterback. 

In my country, to say you are a feminist is to implore a negative stigma. You will be referred to as a lesbian which is not bad except that it courts the 14 years imprisonment penalty. To be feminist means you are overwhelmed with inferiority complex or seeking unnecessary attention or worse unhappy because you cannot find a husband. To say you are a feminist, a happy one for that matter, that is totally un-African. It is as if Africa (in my case Nigeria) is against your happiness if you choose to express it through the idea of gender justice and gender equality. It means you have allowed yourself to be “corrupted” by the Western world and that you have forgotten your roots. So instead of saying you are a feminist, you might be allowed to say you are a womanist or a women's rights activist. The reason for this is because feminism is allegedly alien to Africa, which I think isn’t entirely true. 

I found out early in life that I was a feminist. Which literally terrified me, because I wanted to girly like my sister (note that being girly doesn't mean you are not a feminist, that was something I only found out when I was a teenager). So instead of being me, in my ignorance I pretended to be something I wasn't to "fit in". I desperately wanted to get that nod of maternal approval. 

Years later, I realised I couldn't pretend anymore and I was so sick and tired of trying to fit into the box of people's expectations. I suppose I gotta love myself, even with my quirks and imperfections. 

In Nigeria people don’t want to hear you use the word ‘feminism’ especially when you are female. Because most people believe when you are a feminist you won’t be submissive to your husband and faithful to traditional roles. In much of the Nigerian male population there is the belief that men earned their places at jobs and in schools while women got them because they are women. As if men haven’t been getting their jobs for being men. If you are a Nigerian, please do not say this in public, let your male friends say it; else, you will be accused of playing the sexist card. 

An average Nigerian girl, which is very much the everyday Nigerian girl, is raised to see marriage as her top most priority. Going to school is like an added advantage, because they say no man wants to marry a liability(a woman who isn’t educated). 

The pressure of being female in a society like mine is overwhelming. Sometimes it feels like I'm being swallowed up in sand dunes. I was having a conversation about studying and how to improve grades with my professor and he told me ‘You are a female, why are you so concerned about improving your grades? If you end up with a second class lower division, it wouldn’t matter because by the time you graduate a man is going to take care of you’. What my professor meant by ‘a man taking care of me’ was that I will get married and be a housewife, with all my needs catered for. So this begs the question. Do my innate capabilities matter? If things will be done on my behalf anyway, then what is the point of having dreams and being ambitious? 

I think it is our right to be treated equally regardless of gender. Please I would love to hear your thoughts on this, in the comment section below. Source: Voice of Youth

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals