BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 27 July 2014

Joshua Muzala: Paint manufacturer, Painter

By Winston Muleba II 
Innovation must be better for beneficiaries; second it must ultimately prove cheaper for one’s project; and, finally, innovation must make things simpler for staff says Joshua Muzala. 


Muzala says Ideas must be founded on the insights one generate. 
“They can and should come from anywhere. This includes company employees, using carefully managed idea systems; focused creative sessions; and employing Open Innovation to source new ideas from outside company boundaries. Ideas that make it through (simple) screening process must prioritize easily explained benefits above potentially complex features.” he says. “People must not put all their eggs in one basket. A portfolio approach to what enters development; how resources are prioritized against projects; and what is launched is a fundamental tool in innovation. The objective is to have a balance of risk and return which meets your strategic objectives.”

Joshua Liyungu Muzala is a paint manufacturer, painter who uses simple technology for his paint manufacturing business. He is a fifth born in a balanced family of 12 children, 6 males and 6 female, born to Bornwell Kumwenda Muzala and Vinia Chindolo Muzala in 1972 and married to Alice
“I am married to Alice Kalina and we are blessed with 7 children.” he says. 

Muzala says he did not complete his secondary school but plans to go back Just for English lessons. 
“I am a Jehovah’s Witness baptized Christian and started school in 1985. Back then starting school even with 10years or older was normal. It is now, that children start grade one as early as four years. I went to Katonda Primary School from grade 1-9. Unfortunately I failed my grade nine exams. This marked the end of my education journey because there was no one to sponsor me to either repeat in grade nine or to proceed to grade ten. My father was not in any form of employment, mother died when I was a toddler. My siblings were equally affected by the family financial constraints, in that most of us in the family are not educated but God has seen us through. This background encourages me to work even harder so that my children have the best education I ever.” “However, I have plans of going back to school just for English lessons so I can improve on my oral English. This is to suffice my marketing and public relations skills because I am destined to have a bigger market share of manufacturing and selling paints in Solwezi. It is important to have a very smooth and good public relation with customers.” 

Muzala says he wanted to become an accountant before he stopped school because of Job prospects. 
“I always wanted to become an Accountant or a Teacher in future. Between the mentioned careers I was more interested in Accountancy because this career has many Job prospects.” he says. 

Muzala says he developed an entrepreneurial spirit after working with his Uncle for a long period.
“Well following that I did not finish my secondary school education, I ended up finding myself in Nampamba seeking greener pastures. In Nampamba I started selling ‘Salaula’ (second hand clothes) at Mpongwe ZCCM farms with my uncle Mr Kenneth Kayonde. Having worked with my uncle for a long period, I developed an entrepreneurial spirit and I thank God for this. Some years later after my stay in Mpongwe, I met and worked with a Congolese who taught me how to make paint.” he says. 

He says he wants to create employment to young people on a broader scale through his Simple technology innovation. 
“I don’t use cumbersome technology to make my paints. Besides I don’t have heavy machinery therefore most of the works are done manually. The products I make include Wall filler, Washable PVA paint, Roof paint, Water paint, Terracotta and Floor paint. The aforelisted products are packaged in different sizes of containers and buckets. When I have a good tender I hire 10-15 young people. One of my objectives basically is to create employment to young people on a broader scale so as to help lift the burden of unemployment levels on the Government.” he says. 

Muzala says worst moment in his life  time were when  he used to think small and within the box. 
“My worst moment in life is the time I used to think small and within the box. I wasted so much time contemplating on my problems forgetting that I had the greatest within me. I had a skill of making paint but didn’t realize I could earn a living from it. I spent so much time looking for a better and well-paying job when I had all it takes to create one for myself. Basically I regard this to be my worst moments because I was a slave to fear, undervalued my skills and most importantly I think I had no self-confidence.” he says. “My good moments basically are opposite to my worst moments because this was a time when I started thinking outside the box, realized the true me and my capabilities. Since then, have never looked behind and use my skill wisely. The other, good moments I mostly encounter are times when my customers appreciate my self-manufactured quality paints and my paintings style.” 

He says his main challenges are access to a bigger loan and lack of sufficient manpower. 
“The main challenges I face in this business basically are access to a bigger loan. I have always wanted to grow my business to a commercial level. At local level and manufacturing paints manually is quite involving and demands so much energy inputs. This is to say I don’t have sufficient manpower.” “In this view, would love to partner with some people who also have passion for this business. It has proved to be very profitable venture and that’s why I am looking forward to setup a paint manufacturing plant in Solwezi. I would say, currently in Solwezi, the main competitors I have are big companies which have outlets in Solwezi, companies like Decotex, Plascom .If some people would be willing to combine forces with me they are welcome but what I wouldn’t want is that of partnering with a person who is not serious” he says. 

Muzala says his paint products are different from other paints because of quality.
“What makes my paint to compete with paints from big companies is the quality itself.My paint is of high quality that many people in Solwezi, who have used it, have recommended my products to some other people. Besides the high quality my paint is also affordable as compared to other paints. I have demonstrated the quality of my paints and my painting styles by volunteering to paint in government offices and other private institution free of charge” he says. 

Muzala urges young people to start small but think big. 
“Creating an authentic perception and reality of ‘new value’ for beneficiary of the project is what matters. Seeing innovation teaches that one person’s product, service or a project can, in reality, prove to be the springboard for a revolution. Don’t wait for that big capital to come your way, start small with that little resources you have but think and dream big. Your innovation might just receive support globally who knows.” he says. “Many young people have innovative idea which they can implement using simple technology for a start but in most cases they wait for bigger capital to come their ways. I want to confirm that time wasted is never recovered. At my age I should have achieved more but because I wasted my time thinking small and wanted to start big with a big capital.” 

He says, getting to the “simple” stage of an innovation can be quite difficult to others, and it sets him thinking about the simplicity of innovation. 
“Getting to the “simple” stage can be quite difficult, and it set me thinking about the simplicity of innovation. There’s a fine line that can be crossed, becoming condescending and simplistic; despite the risk of crossing that line, I think that while, undoubtedly, many innovation challenges face highly complex technical and logistical barriers, the structure of innovation should be very simple. The most important aspect is is to start with a strategy. This alludes to where does your organization want to be? What is it trying to do? Where are the greatest opportunities? What is the mix of radical and incremental growth? Innovation should be geared to meeting strategic goals; creative challenges should also be aligned with strategy. Even with a clear strategy, it’s highly unlikely that solutions will be straightforward. A business must be competitive in preparing the future ground, developing intellectual property and capabilities not only to invent but also to take innovation to market quickly and efficiently. Over and above the aforesaid, a deep understanding of who buys your product and why, is essential for incremental innovation. The key is to develop insights, a deep and profound understanding of the consumer that unlocks a strong business potential. Furthermore, it’s important to keep an eye on early feedback, support the launch and help it to get over the “chasm” by making swift improvements and appropriate course corrections.” 

Muzala says most of the successful entrepreneurs started small but thought big. Other entrepreneurs will tell you the best way to learn are to get started on a small, manageable scale and keep learning along the way. 
 “Some of the greatest innovations and businesses start with a big idea. One of the most important pieces of advice I would offer to anyone wanting to start out in business would be to focus on you, what you want with your life and career? It took me many years to put start making paint. A part of this process and to be successful is to expand your thinking and let yourself start small but think big”. There are millions of people and start-up businesses who have a great impact and success on a smaller or bigger scale. The inspiration is surrounding you, it’s a click away. What great idea, inspirational people or “best practice” can you learn from and apply to your business?” he says “Zambia continues to change constantly. If you don’t act on this change, someone else will. As an entrepreneur you’ll discover there are constant factors that need to be tackled: planning, strategizing, finance, product development, competition, marketing, sales and management. Test your idea in the market place and evaluate the insights and response, and research the competition. Take the time to ensure there is a market for your product or service and a healthy profit can be made. The experience of trying to get a business off the ground can quickly become overwhelming without a sustainable plan. So keep your idea big while breaking down the task of achieving them into small manageable actions. Strive to action according to your specific, achievable, realistic and timely goals and strategy. What are the immediate actions that you can take?” 

He further says It may also be easier to arrange a loan or other funding for a business further down the line, while at the outset a budget will need to be stretched as far as possible. 
“It may also be easier to arrange a loan or other funding for a business further down the line, while at the outset a budget will need to be stretched as far as possible. Try viewing your initial small budget as a creative challenge and see how many free or low-cost marketing ideas you can come up with. As an entrepreneur and innovator, building and strengthening your network proactively is crucial. Networking is simply the process of creating relations and keeping in touch for mutual benefits. People are a resource and they represent opportunities and information. The people you are spending time with have an effect on you. Many would-be entrepreneurs put off starting their business fearing they do not know enough about business to make it a success. However, successful entrepreneurs will tell you the best way to learn is to get started on a small, manageable scale and keep learning along the way. 

Muzala says he is highly inspired by his Wife. 
“My role model is my wife, Agnes. This woman is always there for me, she encourages me to work hard and provide strategic solutions to the business. I don’t know where I would be without her. She is not just a wife and mother to my children but a more like a mother even to me.” he says. 

“I would want people to remember me just as a person who fought hard for his things.” says Muzala. Start small but think big. It is that simple, you can do it. 

For comments; mwenyamuleba@gmail.com / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals