BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 25 May 2014

Tryson Kaombe,a Pottery Businessman

By Winston Muleba II
IN the face of setbacks and obstacles, it is very easy to get dejected and feel defeated. Many falter and give up. But the successful are those who persevere through hard times regardless of the roadblocks.


There are many young, adults, men and women who have accomplished fantastic and impressive things; not because they are athletes, business people or military personnel, but they are average people. Most of these people are highly motivated by the cause they deem greater than their own lives, that is why they take risks. 

Today, we feature Tryson Kaombe, a pottery businessman. 

Like any other person, Kaombe is a man who experienced ups and downs over the course of his upbringing but remained persistent throughout and kept telling himself, 'I can do it' 

Kaombe was born to Tryson Kalabo and Esiya Mwaba in 1971. He started his primary school in 1979 at Mununga Primary School before going to Chilengwa Basic School in Ndola for his eighth and ninth grade. He completed his senior secondary education at Masala Secondary School. 

"My childhood life and education ladder was a rough one that it is by the grace of God that I finished my secondary education. My parents were not well-to-do that this situation always comprised our way of living. I went to school on foot to and from and passed through rains such that at times, I felt like giving up," he explains. 

When he was young, he wanted to become a driver. Kaombe says in 1996, he faced a lot of challenges that made him become a helper for some bricklayers; he did this kind of work for a period of time. The little resources he got from this work were used to finance his driving course. When he successfully completed a driving course, Kaombe became a taxi driver in Ndola. 

"During the time I worked as a helper brick layers, I gained vast experience on how to handle cement, sand, stones and flux stones. My experience in building made me realise that I could do more with it, hence I decided to stop driving taxis after having had a very good business discussion with my uncle, Mr Bendick Kamweendo. Mr Kamweendo introduced me to a pottery business. I was just 25 years when I started this business", he says. 

He adds that he became so passionate about this business that he made several flower pots for his customers. "Having had a good experience on how to handle raw materials, I decided to apply some innovation to my products. In this regard, I started making flower pots in modified shapes which included shapes of frogs, birds and other fancy designs. 

This way of making flower pots attracted so many customers that I started making not less than K500 in a month. The quantity of material that made me make that much was just one pocket of cement," he says. 

Kaombe says in 2004, he decided to enter into a partnership with a friend who knew how to make tombstones. 

"The partnership was for the sole purpose of exchanging ideas so he taught me how to make tombstones and I taught him how to make modified flower pots. This partnership only lasted for three months for various reasons, we decided to part. In 2004, the cheapest tombstone we made was sold at K600. After dissolving our partnership, I decided to go back to my previous flower pot business," he says. 

He says after this, he faced difficulties in stabilising his business of flower pots seeing that he had married, it meant that there was more demand for money to keep a family. 

"Currently, I am a fulltime brick layer and carpenter, I get contracts to build houses for various individuals and organsations, and I also do roofing of any kind. My pottery business has boomed. Different people have hired me to make tombstones for them. The tombstones I make range from K1,500 to K4,500. In the mean time, I have six workers who always come on board whenever I have a tender of any sort," he says. 

Kaombe says he also serves as a treasurer for Village Bank, a project under FINCA and as chairman for Empowerment Circle. Both are groups for small business entrepreneurs. He says one of the major challenges he faces in the business is customers underrating what he does. Kaombe says this is even before they see his finished product. 

"My advice to fellow businessmen and women regardless of the business they do is to continue working hard and producing the very best of quality products and services with regard to their businesses. 

To the youths, I wish to urge them to work hard... they have what it takes to make it in life, regardless of their background. The most important thing is to have focus and determination and to envision yourself," he says. 

He adds that upcoming businessmen and women, especially young ones should learn to separate profit from capital to avoid going round the same circle. 

"Many people have been doing various businesses, but for many years they have the same quantity of products, same standard of living and same capital because they fail to differentiate profit from capital and their proper usage. 

10 years from now, I envision myself having a very big company like Uniturtle Industries," he says. 

"Through my business, I have been able to support my family financially and most importantly, I am happy that my efforts have paid off in that I have managed to build houses. In 2010, I bought three plots in the sizes of 25m x40 m, 25m x 40m and 16.5 x 40. It is on these pieces of land that I have put up structures which include small apartments and main houses," he says. 

Kaombe is an Adventist, a happily married father and husband of six. His firstborn is 16. "I am inspired by one entrepreneur in Ndola who owns Most Hardware because this man started small, but he has growing big in his business. He gives me hope that I can also do it," he says.

"You and I have the power to live a bigger life. Challenge yourself. Take the risk! There is no law that says you have to carry your background problems on your shoulder. Do at least one small thing every day that allows you to reconnect with yourself. Make brief mental sanity a priority to get still, determined and focused." 

He adds that every goal is achievable; one just needs to focus on their objectives, be persistent in one's efforts and work hard to make it happen. "There can be no hurdle 'uncrossable', no obstacle invincible and no stumbling block insurmountable," he says. 

Be determined and focused, I know you can do it, Can't you? 

For comments; mwenyamuleba@gmail.com  / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals