BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 11 May 2014

Brenda Muntemba, a woman of inspiration

By Winston Muleba II 
HARD times are no excuse to quit, says Australia-based musician Larry Maluma. 

Maluma, who left Zambia 29 years ago, advises upcoming musicians to be dedicated to their respective music projects because the speed of success is limited only by one's dedication and what one is willing to sacrifice. 


This week, Maluma shares the secrets of success in taking one's music to international levels. 

Maluma is an accomplished Christian musician, composer and singer. He sings a combination of English and Zambian languages, including Nyanja, Bemba and Tonga, adopting styles which he has used to blend his own brand of root music. 

The resulting unique sound has put some of his songs at the top of Zambian music charts. From the time he has been living Down Under, Maluma has broadened the Australian perspective of African music. He has released 11 albums and more than 15 music videos which have been aired on the ABC programme, Rage and other TV music programmes in Australia, ZNBC, Zimbabwean and South African TV stations. 

He was born to Moses and Janet Maluma, in a family of 12 children. 

"I was born in Mazabuka but I was brought up in Lusaka. I started music and playing guitar when I was still staying in Lusaka, having had so much interest in playing guitars. I used to make homemade guitars," he says. 

Maluma's music career has been a long and tough one, having left Zambia when he was just about to gain fame and having to go and start all over again far from home. 

His career in music started when he was a youth. He joined and helped strengthen music bands, including the Gravemen, Dig outs Rikkis Mas Voice Band and others. Currently he leads a band called Larry Maluma and Kalimba in Australia. 

"Before I realised my zeal for music, I wanted to be an engineer or train driver. But as years went by my interest of wanting to become an engineer or train driver diminished," he says. 

"I started singing when I was young in the 1970s. Since then I have never backslidden in my musical career. My musical career background was full of obstacles that without persistence, dedication, hard work and consistency, I was not going to make it. 

In 1985 I decided to relocate myself to a new place thus left Zambia for Australia and since then I have been living in Australia for 29 years. Nevertheless, I have plans of coming back to Zambia for a visit, there is no place like home." Maluma says Zambian languages are featured on many of his songs. 

"On this note, I appeal to my fellow Zambian musicians to embrace our native languages regardless of they are based," he says.

"Among some of the albums I have released include Tusekelele (let's celebrate). This album was hailed as one of the most impressive albums of 2009 and one of the most admirable albums to be associated with African music.

" Maluma's first two vinyl releases were Confusion in 1987 and One man's poison in 1989. These were followed by the album Hallelujah in 1991, Man and woman (1993) and Nuff is enough (1996). In this album, Larry is joined by some best musicians in Australia. Other albums are Motion (1997) and Roots and the herbs. Makani (my story) was released in January 2005.

This year he launched yet another album, Ndakondwa (I'm happy), which was released on May 5. 

"My music career has enabled me to travel to different countries," he says. He says he does not just sing reggae. 

"I have always fused my music with whatever style feels right at the time. I am still trying to create my own sound," he says. Maluma says among other challenges he faced as a Zambian based in Australia was getting people to listen to something different and making good music with professional musicians. 

"Musicians must always think outside the box and consider taking music at international scene. Furthermore, musicians should not just sing music for the sake of fans or money, but should think beyond fans and strive to make impact on people's lives. Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and cannot remain silent," he says. 

"If some other foreign music rhythms have penetrated Zambia, what can stop Zambian musicians from taking their music beyond borders? Some people think musicians just wake up in the morning and compose a song that attracts people's attention, as simple like that. No! A lot of effort must be put in. All life demands struggle. Those who have everything given to them become lazy, selfish and insensitive to the real values of life and this is one of the reasons why some musicians leave the music industry sooner than they came. Hard work is the price for success."

Maluma adds that it is what is done consistently that brings about success, thus 'do not do what you cannot continue to deliver'. 

"If you want to take your music at international level; be consistent, work on your music every day to make your dreams closer to reality. 

Hard times are no excuse to quit. Therefore, if you have released some songs which do/did not have an impact on the market, don't despair. One day you will make your dreams closer to reality," he says. 

Maluma says he wants people to remember him as an artiste who wrote good music. It is that simple. I 
know you can do it!. For comments;  mwenyamuleba@gmail.com /0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals