BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 4 May 2014

Meet Christopher Kang'ombe youngest Zambia's ward councilor

By Winston Muleba II
"THIS world demands the qualities of youth," Robert Kennedy said, "not a time, not life, but a state of mind, a temper of the will, a quality of imagination, a predominance of courage over timidity, of the appetite for adventure over the love of ease."

It can be said that if one has interest in certain activities but refuses to participate in them, one of the penalties for refusing to do so is that he or she ends up being governed by their inferiors. 

This week the column features Christopher Kang'ombe, a Riverside ward councillor in Kitwe. Kang'ombe, 29 is one of the youths who have reclaimed their places and vowed never to be used as tools of violence in society. 

He was born in Kitwe, to Elizabeth Pikiti and Francis Kang'ombe. "We are small family of four children," he says.

He began his education at Justin Kabwe Basic School, then went to Rokana basic in 1994. He later went to Kitwe Boys Secondary where he completed his education in 2002. Kang'ombe was the head boy of Kitwe Boys and it was during this period that he started realising his role in society as a Zambian youth. 

"2003 seemed to be a long year seeing that I was eager to enter university when I discovered that I had gotten good grade 12 results. I always wanted to study mechanical engineering because dad used to run a mechanical workshop and I used to do technical drawing and metal work at secondary school. Eventually, I applied for a Bachelor of Engineering in electrical/ mechanical at the Copperbelt University. I was offered admission in the said programme," he says. 

While at university, Kang'ombe used to play football and became active in student politics. He joined the Copperbelt University Students Union, and faced the challenge of balancing school work and serving in the union. 

"I had to overcome such challenges by putting in extra study hours and working very hard. The other activity that I was involved in at university, apart from students' politics and football, was debate society. I also helped establish the students against drug abuse," he says. 

Kang'ombe is currently in his second term of office as councillor for Riverside ward. In the corporate world, he serves as a sales engineer for Atlas Copco. 

"So far, acquiring a degree in electrical /mechanical engineering has been my biggest academic achievement. 

I am a Christian, married to Ngoza Ndhlovu. We have one daughter, her name is Mubanga and in three months time she'll be turning two," he says. 

He says he decided to join politics at a young age and his interest in politics was as a result of his father telling stories of the political history of Zambia when he was growing up. 

"I had served as head boy in secondary school as earlier mentioned and it was easy to join student union politics when I arrived at the Copperbelt University in 2004. 

I became councillor in 2006 at the age of 21 after serving as president for the students union. By then, I was in my third year of study.

10 years from now, I am not sure (where I'll be), but hopefully serving my country in higher public office," he says. 

Kang'ombe says being a young politician, he faces many challenges. 

"Sometimes I feel those that are older than me have not given me and other young politicians the required space to grow in politics. Whatever progress I have made has been out of individual effort with help from friends and not out of consideration by the elderly," he says. 

"I schedule my commitments well in order to be at work during the work and attending to civic issues over the weekend. I also get time from work by going on leave when I have a meeting at the council." He says the right time for a youth to start is as early as possible. 

"The interest has to be developed in high school through public speaking forums. Young people should consider participating in politics because at the end of the day, the decisions made by the leadership in various offices affect them directly or indirectly," he says. 

Kang'ombe advises youths to reclaim their place in society and much of this he has articulated in detail in his book 'Students reclaim of a place in society'. 

"I have different role models starting with my father, Francis Kang'ombe. Politically, I have great respect for Cuban revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.

My hobbies are watching football and reading political literature and in my own view, the key to success in politics is honesty and hard work," he says. 

He says he would want to be remembered as a genuine public servant. It's possible you can also do it! He did it at the age of 21. 

For comments:0966 461 943/0950 594/mwenyamuleba@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals