BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Friday 11 April 2014

How Do You Take Your Idea from Mind to Market?

When Kate Kiguru was growing up in a small village in Kenya, she was brought up like a boy. It wasn’t by design. 

She was the middle child in a family of four girls. Her parents had twin girls first. Her mother was occupied with them, so she ended up spending most of her time with her dad. “That’s why I’m so comfortable working in a male-dominated field,” she told me, 30 minutes before she was scheduled to pitch her startup to investors and advisers last Friday in Washington, D.C.


Kiguru, 26, was at the World Bank last week to promote and raise funds for Akida, a mobile application that addresses the challenges of staff attendance verification in large organizations. She was invited by infoDev, a global multi-donor program of the World Bank Group that aims to enable entrepreneurship for sustainable, inclusive growth and employment in developing countries.

Kiguru and 16 other entrepreneurs gathered for infoDev’s Mobile Startup Camp, designed to help early stage mobile entrepreneurs from emerging markets. As Kiguru shared her story, it wasn’t hard to internalize that youth are a driving force behind the rising Africa.

More than 200 million people in Africa are between ages 15 and 24. Like Kiguru, they are rapid learners and fast implementers of their knowledge despite challenges. She grew up in a village without electricity or running water. Her parents passed away when she was young, but she continued her schooling with help from her sisters. She saw computers for the first time when she was 13 years old.

Now, 13 years later, she is not only traveling halfway around the world to raise money for her venture, but also helping girls in her home country learn how to code. Her hopes of solving problems and inspiring others persuaded her to persevere in a culture where girls are expected to stay within the boundaries and follow patriarchal norms.

She recalls her college days when she was the only female student in her computer classes. Working in the technology sector was no different.

“I’m sort of stubborn,” she quipped as she talked about her determination to not blindly follow the tradition. To ensure that other young women in Kenya reach their potential, Kiguru works with Akirachix, a community of tech women, to inspire Kenyan girls to learn about technology.

At the Mobile Startup Camp, there were roughly equal numbers of male and female entrepreneurs, all of them eager to learn to refine products, business models, and marketing pitches. As I listened to their pitches, it was clear that all of them are committed to a cause, whether it’s helping farmers in remote parts of the world sell crops easily or making sure jewelery from African slums reaches the global market. The World Bank is helping these entrepreneurs to take their ideas, as Valerie D’Costa, program manager of infoDev put it, from “mind to market.”
Youthink

1 comment:

  1. Hi, I work in a communication company I want to share my testimony to the world, my name is Doris pinto, i am from united kingdom in belfast north ireland, I was a stripper in a club I got effected with HIV due to the nature of my job, In april 15 2013 i was tested positive to HIV, Believe it or not this is a true life experience. This is not design to convince you but its just a personal health experience . I never taught doctor Abija could ever get my HIV-AIDS cured with his healing spell, i have tried almost everything but I couldn't find any solution on my disease, despite all these happening to me, i always spend a lot to buy a HIV drugs from hospital and taking some several medications but no relieve, until one day i was just browsing on the internet when i came across a great post of !Michelle! who truly said that she was been diagnose with HIV and was healed that very week through the help of this great powerful healing spell doctor ,I wonder why he is called the great papa Abija, i never knew it was all because of the great and perfect work that he has been doing that is causing all this. so I quickly contacted him, and he ask me some few questions and so i did all the things he asked me to do, He never collected any money from me until I was finally cured, only to see that at the very day which he said i will be healed, all the strength that has left me before rush back and i becomes very strong and healthy, this disease almost kills my life all because of me, so i went to hospital to give the final test to the disease and the doctor said i am HIV negative, i am very amazed and happy about the healing doctor Abija gave to me from the ancient part of Africa, you can email him now for your own healing too on his email: spirituallighthealing101@live.com thank you doctor for healing me from HIV. I am free and happy!

    ReplyDelete

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals