BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Thursday 17 April 2014

B1 embraces a culture of saving

By Abigail Sitenge
The story of contemporary and most happening Zambian musicians would be incomplete without the mention of Bruce Simbwalanga, better known as B1. 

A great song writer and sage, B1 has three albums to his ever towering credentials, namely Chipute, Pillow and Perfecto. 


B1 has not suffered from the anasila disease since he penetrated the music circles seven years ago. Coming from a humble background, the singer at present attributes his success to passion for music, hard work and mostly the culture of saving money. 

B1 was born on June 6, 1982 in Mazabuka to Marshal Simbwalanga and Alice Njovu. He began primary education at Mwata Basic School in Kalomo in 1988 and later moved to Kabwe before going to Chibombo, where he completed grade 12 in 2000. 

While in high school, B1 developed a passion for music and stage names such as Nat B were born. He says friends that he used to rap with gave him the name. Sadly, before his grade 12 results were out, 

B1 lost his mother, whom he lived with since childhood. After his mother’s passing, B1 decided to relocate to Lusaka. The singer recalls that life was tough for him when he arrived in Zambia’s capital city. 

He worked in one of his uncles’ hardware shop at Soweto market. Unfortunately, his uncle too, later died. During this period, the singer had plans to pursue a diploma in IMIS, but he continued with the hardware business which he supervised together with a relative. 

He began running a small store to raise money for his tuition fees at the National Institute of Public Administration. In 2003, B1 enrolled to study IMIS at NIPA but dropped out in the second semester due to lack of funds. 

“I  almost clocked a year at NIPA but hey, it was hard for me, I had to pay rentals, tuition fees and all, so I discontinued.” 

The Pillow singer went back to hustling at Soweto Market and managed to purchase a pool table which he began renting out to a small bar in Lusaka’s Zangalume area. 

According to him, the owner of the bar eventually became bankrupt and B1 took over the aptly named The Joint. He says that he managed to save money made from the pool table which helped him pay his rentals. At the time, he was already involved in music and wrote several songs that never got recorded. The singer got his break when he met with Jerry Fingaz, one of Zambia’s best music producers. 

“I remember going in the studio almost every day but couldn’t get into the studio because he had a lot of people that wanted to record. So one day I found a guy in the studio and I told Jerry Fingaz that I had to record or else he was going to give me back my money because I paid him. I got upset, but he told me not to worry and that is how I managed to record Chipute. 

The song became the first B1 recorded with Jerry Fingaz in 2008. He says he changed his name to B1 soon after recording Chipute. The letter B on the song, according to him, came from Bruce and 1 came about because he always wanted to be on top in life. 

Despite working on the song, B1 says that his expectations were not high as he had almost lost hope in the music business. 

“After recording Chipute, I remember going home almost crying because life was just tough. I used to walk all the way from Kamwala to Zingalume where I lived before shifting to Lilanda.

” Meanwhile, due to the lack of a licence for his bar, B1 faced challenges with the Lusaka City Council. Oftentimes, council authorities confiscated his alcohol, such were huge drawbacks for the bar. The pool table however survived and served as his source of income most of the time. Little did the singer know that Chipute would one day be a hit on the local music scene. He recalls how patrons danced to his song at The Joint. 

“People used to dance to it not knowing it was my song and I would just be behind the counter selling beer. I didn’t even have a video so people could not connect the face until I went to Willie Jinx who shot a video for me and I remember my first-ever show for the Chipute song was at East Point in Chipata. He recalls an incident of impersonation that occured in Chipata before many people knew who he was. 

According to the singer, a young man swindled bar owners out of their money purporting to be B1, but that his deeds came to an abrupt end when Anthony Likai, proprietor of East Point Discoteque nightclubs in Zambia invited the real artiste to perform in Chipata. 

He says Likai was tipped that the young man in Chipata was an impersonator and therefore decided to contact the original B1 to travel to Chipata and make an appearance. When he reached Chipata, he was briefed about the boy who was impersonating him. East Point management had planned to embarrass the impersonator and the plan was successful.

“The guy cried like a baby on stage and he was made to apologise. Then we did the same song together. It was the original and fake B1 on stage! We laughed about it,” he recalls. From that time, the singer’s career began flourishing and he released his debut album in 2009. 

The album Pillow followed before the smash hit Perfecto, two years later. Around this period, B1′s name was becoming more pronounced, hence his concentration on business at the bar reduced. 

“I was making some money from shows now because the name was becoming big except the bar was still the same, so I couldn’t push the Shake Shake wheelbarrows any more. But it was a very good experience. I learnt how to save even the little money that I made,” he adds. 

He says due to frequent travelling, he employed people to run the bar, but that several times, they stole from him and that is how he gave up on that business. B1 went ahead to buy his first Hiace minibus for business in 2011. 

“I did this because in music, there is no guarantee. Today, you have a hit, and tomorrow you may not have. So I told myself that I needed something that would sustain me,” says B1, who also bought his first car – a Toyota Vista – around the same period. Around that time, the singer had moved to a two-room house and one day as he did his laundry while following the presidential election campaign debates, he thought of doing a song in those lines and that is how the song Mr Perfecto emerged. The song was almost banned on Zambia National Broadcasting Corporation but this only made the singer more popular. 

“I have ways of communicating in my music, I don’t believe in being plain. I believe music is supposed to be an art. If I say I love you, I’m not going to say it directly just like that because it has to be exciting. Not bragging but I think Perfecto is one of the well written Zed songs so far,” he says. 

“The Perfecto song made me a very busy guy. I had no free weekend, I even performed during the week, I featured on almost all radio stations for interviews. So the Perfecto album, which also has Sikiliti ku bed’, was a huge success really. I made a lot of money.” 

He explains that Sikiliti addresses many issues that affect society, including infertility. Last year, B1 performed in London for the first time during Zambia’s independence celebrations and this week, the father of three will tour parts of the US for charity concerts organised by an NGO called Touch of an Angel. Among cities the singer will tour are Atlanta and Dallas. Proceeds from the shows will help vulnerable people in Zambia. 

He says God has been so good to him that he now has four Hiace minibuses operating within Lusaka. And for the first time in his life, B1 is living in his own house. 

“It has not been easy, but I’m now living in my own house and it feels good. I have deleted my landlord’s mobile number,” he happily shares. He credits Likai, popularly known as Uncle Tony, for helping him find the area of land where he has built a house in Chamba Valley Meanwood. B1 urges fellow musicians to embrace the culture of saving if they are to better their lives. He notes that artistes make money except they over-spend, adding that most of them make a minimum of K2,000 per week. B1 also advises Zambians to appreciate local music. 

He says the culture of staging free musical shows at nightclubs is killing Zambian music as fans get used to the idea and fail to pay when time comes. “Corporate institutions too should work with artistes, especially when it comes to adverts. I encourage them to empower more artistes through such ventures,” he adds. 

The singer has since released three singles from his upcoming album and hopes to penetrate the international market. Besides UK, the singer has performed in Mozambique, South Africa, Namibia and Malawi where he credits Orga Family for introducing him to his Malawian fans. In the next ten years, B1 wants to be a music icon and a major businessman especially because he loves to make money and spend it. 

“My success has more to do with the kind of a person I am and my background. I haven’t had it easy and I wouldn’t want to go back to where I came from. My culture of saving has really helped me. Even from the small bar in Zangalume, I used to save where I made about K300 on a good day,” he shares. 

B1 says he is not married but seeing someone presently.He loves to watch movies in his free time and enjoys nshima with okra and ifisashi (pumpkin leaves mixed with groundnuts paste).

Source:The Post Newspaper

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals