BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Wednesday 10 August 2022

2 insights on tomato farming that you should consider in Zambia | WestMac Media



By Rachel Ngosa Kowa

Some years back I used to take tomatoes to Kasumbalesa. Business was booming, money was being made, we were smiling.

Until one day, I went on a day when the big trucks came in. By big trucks I mean truck and trailers, flat beds fully loaded. Commercial farmers at Kasumbalesa do not come to play; they sale together with the tomato crates!

I was heartbroken that day. No one looked at the Canter light truck I was with. What was I going to do with my tomatoes? Most importantly how was I going to tell my employer that I was coming back with unsold and now almost tomatoes? My heart was broken.

I understand the pain the small scale farmer goes through. I really do! Therefore, before we paint the commercial farmer black we need to understand they are also running a business and no sane person is going to sell their products lower than the cost of production. 

What then could be their secret source? THEY UNDERSTAND ECONOMIES OF SCALE. 

This is among other key secrets:-

1. They make proper spreadsheets and understand the unit cost of a box. 

2. They also understand the value of project management to ensure lean production.

As such, small scale farmers must consider employing an accountant and a project manager. Layman calculations such as as the following, should stop!

Plant one hectare get 1000 boxes sale at K150 and make K150,000.  

Factor in the cost of production. Then calculate how much it is costing you to produce one box. If your cost of production is K30 per box selling 1000 boxes at K35 is not a loss.

Lean production can not be over emphasized, a project manager should ensure zero wastage.

You can not police a free market. Go big or go home! 

This write up is inspired by Clement Soup Kaywala.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals