BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 22 June 2014

Mambwe:entrepreneur,creator and adventurer

By Winston Muleba II
YOUNG people must be brave and trust their instincts, says 20-year-old Joseph Mambwe. 

Mambwe is a young entrepreneur, creator and adventurer who runs a software company. 


Mambwe was born in a family of five to Anne and Paul Mambwe. He is currently at Cambridge University. 

Mambwe says his upbringing had been an interesting journey. 

"I was born in Zambia and stayed there until my family moved to Botswana and later to UK. My family moved around quite a lot in pursuit of better circumstances and when my mother got the opportunity to work in the UK just before high school, she took it and we joined her later." 

He says he always wanted to study engineering from the time he was young. 

"I have an innate curiosity of how everything comes to be, so engineering has been my natural choice. I am a Cambridge University Engineering student who started to dip his fingers into app development, I hope to learn more by engaging with people who are doing the same," he says. 

"The main challenges I face as a student and entrepreneur are basically balancing my schoolwork and my ambitions, Cambridge University's courses are notoriously difficult, and they strongly discourage anyone from taking on any extra work and rightly so because the courses here are super tough and intense. Trying to pursue my ambitions while doing my course has been the cause of many sleepless nights, but I love it! However, I always ask myself what's really important to me, then I just do it, things usually work out if you are brave enough to really go after what you really want despite what everyone around you might be telling you. And if you fail at it, at least let it be on your terms, because at the end of the day, you are the one who has to live with your decisions. The principle here is taking control of your destiny and making sure you're not leaving out somebody else's dreams or goals. People, who do just what they are supposed to do, rarely get to do extraordinary things." 

He says he is involved in some activities at Cambridge University. 

"I'm a regular at the Cambridge University entrepreneur's events and also advise different startup companies on matters of design and development. I am also a mentor to a few aspiring student entrepreneurs who come to me for advice on different matters. For the meantime, these are the activities I am involved in that relate to my education and business," he says. 

Mambwe says he was the highest scoring student in both high school and A levels. "I would say getting into Cambridge is perhaps the biggest scholastic achievement, especially as a black African male and at a tender age. It's important because it's an example of when I went after something with everything I had within me and succeeded and it really gave me the confidence to approach even bigger challenges," he says.

He says he does not know where he could be, 10 years from now. "I have no idea and that is the beauty of life, all I hope is that I am pursuing my deepest convictions and doing something that matters. You can follow my journey at www.josephmambwe.com ," he says. 

Mambwe explains that Ruvix App Company started as a result of him being curious as to how apps were made. "This led me to releasing a few apps that did really well and so I decided to start a company. I developed the idea of this company in my second year and incorporated it same year. So far, I have come up with different apps, a few that can be found at ruvixapps.net but the most notable on is GymStreak (ruvixapps.net). My apps work in a variety of ways and target different markets; I would say the best way to find out how they work is to experience them. They are exclusively for iOS at the moment and can be found at ruvixapps.net," he says. 

Mambwe says he has plans to get his apps to Zambia, so that even Zambians benefit from his apps and company services. "I hope in the future to create regional apps that would allow people to connect with everything around them and leverage the growing adoption of smartphones in Zambia," he says. 

"I am by no means a computer scientist. In fact, I almost failed my software module before I started my company. You just have to be willing and motivated enough to tough it out and work through it, it's like learning another language, and it can be done. As earlier alluded to, managing my time and prioritising tasks is perhaps the biggest challenge I have. However, when you constantly have to make decisions, it can be hard to figure out what exactly is the right thing to invest in both my time and money into. I overcome this by following my instincts because they often know the right answer before I consciously do," he says. 

Mambwe urges youths to be brave and trust in their instincts." 

"Remember that everybody will have an opinion on what you should do with your life, from your parents, to your teachers to your friends. It's extremely important that you figure out what it is exactly that you want to do and go after it, with everything you've got, because when you are really passionate about something, you will be willing to get through any obstacles that may come your way and ultimately succeed. Those young people who have brilliant apps ideas but fail to bring such ideas on board I appeal to you to stop talking about it and start doing it. Everybody has a great idea, very few people are good at executing their ideas, so get good at executing on even the smallest ideas," he says. 

He adds that anyone can start up an app business but the secret lies in learning. 

"Learn, Learn, Learn, everything I know now started by typing into Google 'How to make an iPhone app' and then spending hours and hours struggling trying to learn how to code. My role model is Elon Musk, because of his work with PayPal, Tesla, SolarCity and SpaceX. He is really changing the world as we speak," he says. 

"Whether I ultimately fail or succeed, I want people to remember me as the guy who didn't accept a reality handed to him but fearlessly tried to forge his own destiny." 

Be willing to learn. It is that simple, you can do it. For comments;mwenyamuleba@gmail.com  / 0966 461 943/0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals