BANK WITH UBA

BANK WITH UBA
Click banner for more info....

STUDY AT ECU

STUDY AT ECU
Click banner for more info...

Sunday 29 June 2014

Fortunate Kabamba: prospective priest

By Winston Muleba II
PRIESTHOOD is all about living a Christ-like life and is a special calling for great sacrifice, says Fortunate Mwansa Kabamba.

Kabamba says many people have a wrong perception of what priesthood is all about He says he is a seminarian coming from Kantanshi township in Mufulira.

"I am a diocesan seminarian coming from St Lawrence Parish in Mufulira. Though in my early years in Chingola, Fortunate was used as my first name, but now I go by Mwansa as my first name though I feel more comfortable to be addressed as Kabamba. Just to add a word on Fortunate; Fortunate is a name of my uncle who was keeping me in Chingola, it took some time for him to have a male child and with the coming of the allowances for children in the mines, he decided to put me on the list of children and took Mwansa as a middle name. But when I came to Mufulira, the eldest uncle whom I call the head when enrolling me for grade six removed Fortunate from the list of my names. Hence, at school in Chingola, I was known by the name Fortunate, while in Mufulira I am known by Mwansa. As at now, I feel more comfortable just to be addressed as Kabamba Mwansa, "he says. "At my age, I am only sure of the name of my mother Mrs Rita Kabamba (deceased). The whereabouts of my father are not known. I have tried to my level best to trace the name of my father but all my efforts have been in vain, so I carry the surname of my mother as mine too.


" Kabamba comes from a family of three males and he is the last born. "Both of my half-brothers are married: the eldest (Lengwe Joshua) is working in Luanshya Mines but staying in Chingola. My immediate brother (Brian Mumba Chamutemba) is also working in the mines in Chililabombwe," he says.

"My upbringing has not been from one place. However, what stands to be so unique is that I have been brought up in the mining areas. I did my grade one to three at Sekela Primary School and later went to Mudzabwela Primary School in Chingola. In 2002, I moved back to Mufulira to stay with the young brother to my uncle Mr Stanley Kabamba, a more tolerant and gentleman who has been my guardian up to now. He is married with five children; two females and three males. In Mufulira, I continued my grade six at Kasumba Basic School. In 2004 after writing my grade seven examination, I was selected at Ipusukilo High School where I completed my O Level studies in 2007. My lifestyle in Mufulira was a combination of the high cost and low cost in the sense that, during holidays, I used to visit the eldest uncle (Mr Wilbroad Kabamba) in the high cost of Mufulira. It was from him that I got so much inspiration to remain focused at school. For Mr Wilbroad Kabamba, who I still adore, education and hardworking were a key to every success. He exposed me so much to reading and study and mastering of the time-table. Every evening he could seat us down for questions and that gave me the passion to study more and more for fear of being punished. Additionally, I was often challenged by the lifestyle of the people in the high cost, often their way of playing appealed more to my personality (introvert), while the challenge was that I was always the last alternative. I remember being left alone when playing table tennis in pairs at Mufulira High School, and only given a chance to pair after the one guy who had fever withdrew, making me the last resort.

" Kabamba recalls his worst experience when he travelled to Lusaka to verify his English results at the Examination Council of Zambia. "Just at the inquiry, I was denied access to proceed further. Fortunately, before going to Lusaka I had visited the DEBS offices where I met a certain lady who had her former student working at ECZ, and that was the only channel I used. My good moment of my life is when we met as three half brothers for a meal, share our thoughts and our future plans. It was a touching moment because I saw the eldest brother in grade six and he was not introduced to me not after he had left. I only knew of my immediate brother and stayed with him in grade 12, so I thought of the many years I lived thinking that I had no brother or sister whom I share with the same blood," he says.

Kabamba says he never thought of becoming a priest as he had always wanted to become a medical doctor since childhood.

"I can honestly confess, there was never a point in time in my upbringing from grade one to 12 when I thought of going to the seminary though I used to call myself a real monk in high school. Anyway, just to mention, I am hesitant to call the family I am coming from a Catholic Christian family in the sense that my uncle only goes to Church on Sunday, my aunty has no church and it is somehow difficult to see the path of my cousins, only two so far have expressed the Catholic faith. The desire to go for priesthood came when Mrs Felistus Kabamba, the young sister to mum introduced me to Fr Mark of Regiment Parish in Lusaka. I had a very good encounter with the priest who at least gave me an idea of priesthood and later gave me the addresses for their congregation. So in the process of waiting to be admitted at UNZA, I got in touch with the vocation promoter for the Missionaries of Africa, Fr Patrick Bataile who travelled twice from Serenje just to visit me at home in Mufulira. Hence, it was within that encounter with the Missionaries of Africa that I felt the call to priesthood. It was in the process of discerning the missionary spirit that I was accepted when I applied in the diocese of Ndola to become a diocesan seminarian with little information on whom a diocesan was. "he says.

"When I told my family that I was going for priesthood, at first they thought it was joke, but after seeing that I was more committed to church activities, small Christian community gathering and the visits of Fr Patrick Bataile, they started taking it serious. And I thank God that they did not hesitate signing the forms, though today I ask myself whether they knew what they were signing or not? By and large, the step they took is so positive such that even today, they keep on encouraging me and supporting me materially."

Kabamba says he had a girlfriend before he made up his mind to go for priesthood.
"I was only in a relationship for less than four months. So harmonising the situation was not that difficult because we had not so much invested in each other: We were still learning from each other. Hence, when I told her of my intentions to go for priesthood, she accepted and wished me all success without much struggles. Many people have wrong perception of what priesthood is all about. Priesthood is all about living a Christ-like life. It is a special calling of great sacrifice. I have coined 4s that defines priesthood for me, that is, service; working for no reward or remuneration, salvation of souls; being a model and a clear sign of the Church, sacrifice which encompasses sanctification and self-denial which embraces a sense of discipline and availability for the ministry of Christ," he says.

Kabamba says there are many areas of discerning this noble calling.
"First and foremost, one can discern priesthood or brotherhood from his personal relationship with God, i.e., through prayer. This personal relationship with God goes beyond a verbal affirmation of Christ as your personal savior. But it calls for a sense of being able to contemplate on his words unceasingly, everyday being able to affirm the word of God like our Mother Mary 'let it be done unto me as you wish', (Luke 1: 38) and being able to be a living testimony of what you affirm with your 'yes' every moment of your life. This personal discernment also refers to the acquisition of moral values and the cultivation of reason, self-control, pride, and an excellent performance in one's jurisdiction. There is nothing for me so mysterious about priesthood or brotherhood. Therefore, you can discern your calling from the social, human and academic point of view. The social aspect of discernment encompasses the general introspective and extrospective relation with self, others, nature and God. Additionally, the social dimension refers to cultivating a sense of moral obligation and responsibility for the common good. Psychologically, your human growth, maturity and relations influence all the other spheres of discernment. If humanly you are not maturing, your level of discerning the growth of your vocation becomes low either from the spiritual, social and academic perspectives. The God we worship communicates too loud and clear as it is testified in the Scriptures. Therefore, there is a strong demand from the preachers to be equipped academically in order to articulate and interpret the Gospel values holistically. I cannot exhaust all areas of discernment, but one thing that stands out so clear in choosing a kind of life one is embracing is self-conviction and purity of intention. Usually, as a person in the society, you go under such avenues of discernment without clearly knowing them all," he says.

He says in future, he could still be a priest and medical doctor.
"Some of the qualities, energies and potentials of my childhood career could manifest in priesthood. I still enjoy reading about medicine and bioethics as one of the theological course at St. Dominic's Major Seminary quenches my thirst, "he says.

"The duration to become a diocesan priest here in Zambia is eight years, if all goes well and it is divided in three stages: a spiritual year at Emmaus Spiritual Centre in Lusaka, two years of philosophical studies at St. Augustine's Major Seminary in Kabwe and four years of theology at St Dominic's Major Seminary in Lusaka of which after the first two years, seminarians are sent for a pastoral year in their various dioceses of origin. Among the requirements for pursuing priesthood are the grade twelve results, ofcourse you have a male-baptised Catholic and the rest are summed up in a good standing with the Church. Therefore, one can pursue priesthood as a diocesan in the aforementioned institutions, "he says.

Kabamba says the greatest challenge he faces as a priest student is keeping up the relationship with old friends.
"In some circumstances it becomes almost impossible. Modernity and secularisations also pose some challenges to a seminarian such as; priesthood being seen as an old fashion kind of life, technology and science taking the place of God in our hearts, and lastly but not the least, finding a meaningful and mature way of relating with the opposite sex while embracing celibacy. Four virtues play a pivotal role in facing up and overcoming the aforesaid challenges, i.e. prudence which is the charioteer of the virtues, justice, fortitude and temperance, "he says.

"Joining priesthood for the sake of a house, vehicle and other materials is a misconception of what priesthood is all about. However, from the existential point of view, we join certain things out of material attraction. So, one can join priesthood out of such intention, but such ideas in the path of training will be purified and that becomes part and parcel of discernment, "he says.

"There is nothing angelic or mysterious about priesthood, it is just that kind of life which can be embraced by any human person, so long as you offer your life passionately and deductively to Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. Priesthood is a calling! The word calling is derived from a Latin word vocare which means call or to call. There maybe a very thin line between a career and a calling, but there is a big margin in character formation.

" He says a career is a secular occupation or professions streamlined to getting a job and work for a salary or wage in return; a calling is a way of life with a very strong attachment to service. "Hence, a vocation supersedes a career in terms of orientation. Bishop George Lungu of Chipata diocese insinuates, 'It is martyrdom to serve as a priest because there is no salary in priesthood'. Before going to the seminary, I had the experience of working underground at Mopani Copper Mines in Mufulira under one of the contracting company, worked as a poling agent in the (Levy) Mwanawasa era and I also gave extra lessons to the community in mathematics at home. In the course of my training, I have done my official apostolate at Mother Theresa Hospice in Kabwe and at Cheshire house of the sick in Lusaka, Kabulonga."

Kabamba says reading and writing are the major of his hobbies while he also likes playing soccer, table tennis, swimming and dancing.
"At the seminary am involved in plenty of the activities, to mention a few: management of water, helping in the archives, library, poultry and garden. My plan is to become a good spirited priest who will be highly motivated as the auxiliary bishop of Chipata would put it. I strongly believe a youth of this nation has the potential of taking our country to greater heights as testified in the recent political changes. Therefore, part of my plan is to teach the young people well in letting them to lead the way by showing them the God-given beauty they possess inside their hearts. "he says.

Kabamba talks about his scholastic achievement so far.
"A diploma in philosophy and religious studies… the studies in philosophy and religious studies are important not that they are a threshold to theology; but because they have helped me very much in my writings, discerning my calling to priesthood at a deepest level and in finding a more moderate way of relating faith and reason in Christian living, "he says.

"My role model is evangelist Martin Luther King Junior, I have read his autobiography in full written by Dr Clayborne Carson and I draw many inspirations from his sayings."

Kabamba says he would not demand anything that people should use to remember him for.
"I just want to live the best life that I can. And at least in my small capacity contribute to the well being of our country through writing, like in the words of my role model; "the ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in the moments of convenience, but where he stands in moments of challenge, moments of great crisis and controversy." And that is where I could love to stand in our society while expecting no remunerations. "he says.

You can do it! For comments;mwenyamuleba@gmail.com 0966 461 943/ 0950 594 050

No comments:

Post a Comment

Galaxy S8

Galaxy S8
Click banner for more info....

Advert Space

Advert Space
"You Have The Products and Services, We Have The Customers"

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

TRACTORRASTOS CATERPILLAR PARTS

Zalatex Paints

Zalatex Paints
Zambia's number one paint, choice of professionals